sabato 20 luglio 2019

Meeting Mr. Kaufmann, di Rick Meghiddo



Rick Meghiddo


Meeting Mr. Kaufmann



We had planned an itinerary along a line that had nothing to do with historical chronology, nor with the greater or lesser importance of the buildings that we were about to visit. Wright, like Picasso, had had several periods of creativity quite different from one another: over five hundred works built along seventy years. They included the Prairie Houses in the Midwest, built between the end of 19th Century and the beginning of the 20th Century; the concrete-block houses of Los Angeles, from the 1920s; the Johnson’s and the Kaufmann’s masterpieces of the 1930s in Wisconsin and in Western Pennsylvania; the Usonian Houses of the 1950s, conceived for the needs of America’s middle class, spread all over the country; and the unique public buildings, such as the Price Tower in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, the Florida Southern College in Lakeland, the Beth Sholom Synagogue in Philadelphia and the Guggenheim Museum in New York. We needed advise to distinguish between those works which were essential to understand each period, and the ones that were less relevant. Prestigious as Mr. Kaufmann’s background was(1), the main reason why we wanted to meet with him was because, as the author of a book titled “Frank Lloyd Wright: Writings and Buildings,” which included a detailed index of Wright’s addresses of buildings, he knew better than anyone else the reality on the ground.
 
While walking towards the Ford Foundation, we stopped at a public phone on 42nd Street to call Mr. Kaufmann. Using the number that Zevi had given us, I dialed. It was noisy on the street and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to hear the person on the other end. The stet rang.
“Edward Kaufmann speaking, hello?” Hearing the soft voice of a man caught me by surprise. I was prepared to convince some front desk receptionist to let me speak to him, but there was Mr. Kaufmann, picking up the phone.
“Mr., Kauffman? I asked rhetorically.
“Yes, who is this?” he answered.
“Aeh… good afternoon, Mr. Kaufmann. I’ve been addressed to you by Professor Zevi. My name is Rick Meghiddo. I am in New York, together with my wife, for just a few days. We are both architects graduated in Rome. Professor Zevi was our mentor. We have planned a trip around the United States to see and photograph many of Frank Lloyd Wright’s buildings. Professor Zevi gave us your number and urged us to contact you when we get to New York, to get some advice.”
“How interesting,” Mr. Kaufmann said. I could barely hear what he was saying.
“How is Professor Zevi doing?” Mr. Kaufmann continued, “I haven’t been in touch with him for quite a while. He is such a great historian, a passionate advocate of Wright and the Organic Architecture philosophy. He also is one of the best critics of architecture that I know, probably the best. Have you seen him recently?”
“No,” I answered, “I am actually coming from Israel. I last talked to Professor Zevi over the phone two weeks ago, before we left Tel Aviv. He gave me your number. I didn’t know that I was calling to your home. I apologize. Would you prefer me to call you at a more convenient time?
“No, no, that’s fine. I needed a brake anyhow. Now, let me understand better. You said that you are coming from Israel but your accent sounds Latin, are you Italian?”
“No, I was born and raised in Argentina. I emigrated to Israel when I was seventeen, entered the Technion to study architecture and there I met my wife, in the classroom. She came to Israel from Romania. After we married, we moved to Rome, to continue our studies there. Shortly after we started to study History of Architecture with Professor Zevi. He adopted us, if I may say, as disciples. He was also the tutor of our graduating theses,” I added.
Ruth made signs that I should inform him that we were three, not two. Viviana smiled
in silence. I was so concentrated in my conversation with mister Kaufmann that I didn’t get what Ruth was trying to tell me.
“To answer your question,” I continued, “when I last talked to Professor Zevi, he was very busy writing a new book.”
“Do you know what the book is about?” he asked, curious.
“I am not one hundred percent sure. If I understood him well, it is about the code of modern architecture’s language,” I said, pressing hard the canal of my left ear with my forefinger’s knuckle, to muffle the street’s noise from passing trucks and sirens, claxons and a taxi driver shouting “mother fucker” to a man crossing jaywalking. I hoped he didn’t hear it.
“He has such a complex mind,” commented Mr. Kaufmann, “now, tell me Ricardo, how can I help you?”
“Well, the thing is that, regarding our trip, we have been using your book as our main source of reference. It is great, and your list of addresses makes it unique. We would like to get some specific feedback from you, if possible, to make sure that we are on the right track.”
“In what sense?” Mr. Kauffmann asked.
“Our trip’s itinerary crosses at least twenty five states in the Northeast, the Midwest, the Southeast and the Southwest. Because we plan to drive along a sequence of buildings that do not relate to one another chronologically, nor in order of importance, we would like to have your input in establishing some sort of hierarchy in our itinerary,” I said.
“I see. Well, that sounds quite challenging. I’ll be glad to help you in what I can. By the way, are you also including Fallingwater on your way?”
“Of course, that is one of our trip’s highest points.”
“Good. I can facilitate your visit there,” he said.
I mimicked my enthusiasm to Ruth and Viviana, but they couldn’t understand why. “My goodness, a red carpet to Fallingwater,” I thought, “what a privilege!”
“Let me check my calendar. This weekend I am out of town, and you said you came for just a few days…how about coming to my home tomorrow, with your wife, what’s her name?” he asked.
“Ruth,” I said.
“With Ruth,” he continued, “at eleven? We can discuss your trip first, and from here I’ll take you out for lunch and you’ll tell me more about Zevi, and maybe also about Israel. We’ll have a couple of hours to talk. Is tomorrow fine with you?”
“That’s very kind of you,” I answered, “but we are three people at this moment. An Italian friend of ours, architect Viviana Campajola, who worked for Zevi several years, is joining us for a few days. We don’t want to impose any burden on you, so we’ll be happy to come, not necessarily for lunch” I said, while Ruth gestured approval.
“It’s not a problem. I’ll be glad to take all three of you for lunch,” he said.
I made high brows to Ruth and Viviana.
“Thank you. Sure, tomorrow is fine. We’ll be at your place at eleven.” He gave me his address, on East 53rd Street, which I wrote down on a bag of souvenirs bought at the UN gift shop, using one of the booth’s sides for support.
“Please send my best regards to Zevi, if you talk to him,” he then added.
“Our friend Viviana will actually see him when she’s back to Rome, in about ten days.”
“Great. In the meantime, I’ll see you tomorrow. Do you have a phone number where I can reach you, just in case?” I gave it to him, hoping that he wouldn’t realize the kind of hotel we were at. He didn’t ask and I didn’t volunteer it. He then sent regards to Ruth and Viviana, and hanged up.
“Tell us word-by-word what he said,” asked Ruth, impatiently. I was exhausted by the tension. It was like lifting weights beyond the limit that I was used to.
“I need a coffee,” I said, and then I told them.
 
The next morning Ruth and Viviana wanted to buy a Clinique moisturizing lotion before our meeting with Mr. Kaufmann, so we took a cab from our hotel directly to Saks Fifth Avenue, at the corner of 49th street. The traffic was not too bad, and we got there in ten minutes. Since I didn’t have patience to be around when Ruth was trying eyeliners, cheek colors and perfumes, we agreed to meet in half hour at a spot next to a ground floor escalator. I left the store and went for a stroll around Rockefeller Plaza. I found a card with a sleek modern design and I bought it, to send a thank you note to Mr. Kaufmann after our meeting. I returned at precisely 10:30 AM. The girls were not there. After five minutes, I started to get edgy. At 10:40 AM they showed up.
“I know, I know, let’s go,” said Ruth, preventing my reaction.

We reached 53rd street and from there we headed east. Mr. Kaufmann’s residence was located at the end of the street, so we had to walk briskly, to get there on time. The area was new to me. I was surprised to discover a calm, tree-lined street, with small-town low buildings, in mid-town Manhattan. When we crossed Lexington Avenue, I noticed a Flax art supply store and thought that it would be nice to wander around there, but that was not the moment.
We reached Mr. Kaufmann’s residence at eleven sharp. I didn’t find a bell, so I pushed the gate. To my surprise, it was unlocked. We walked directly into an entry hall. Next to an old elevator was a bronze plate on which “KAUFMANN-ROTHCHILD, Second Floor Down” was engraved. Down? We were puzzled.
“Strange,” said Ruth, while Viviana made a typical Italian gesture of “who knows?”
We followed directions. The elevator had a wooden door that swung outside, and two doors that swung inside. The elevator’s walls were made out of wood and had moldings. A small mirror with polished edges was attached to a side wall. It reminded me the elevators of apartment buildings in Paris, but this one was larger. While Ruth and Viviana checked their makeup on the mirror, I pushed the lowest bronze button sticking out from a bronze plate. The elevator moved slowly. When it stopped, I backed up to open the interior doors. We exited onto a small landing and had to move to the side to close the exterior elevator’s door. There was a single old-looking wooden door and a window that opened onto a garden with a Henry Moore sculpture in it. In the background I saw the East River, with a passing ship and the skyline of Long Island beyond Roosevelt Island. Ruth combed my hair with her fingers and straightened my tie. I was concerned that it didn’t match my shirt, but I had taken only one tie for the trip, so that was it. Viviana raised her eyebrows and took a deep breath. I rang the bell.

A thin man with a goatee greeted us with a smile. He spoke softly and his manners resembled that of a 17th Century aristocrat. The apartment was a private museum of modern art, with museum-quality paintings and sculptures. As I introduced Ruth and Viviana, my eyes went to a large Jackson Pollock drip painting in the entryway, a Picasso portrait of a woman to our left and a surrealist Miro filled with sexual symbols to the right. In the living room, I saw a shiny Duchamp-Villon bronze sculpture next to a large sofa and, beyond glass doors, the Henry Moore sculpture sat on a carpet of grass.
Mr. Kaufmann led us to the living room and we all sat on traditional chairs around a coffee table, in plain contrast with the modernism of the artworks on the walls. The effect was one of casual openness, yet the place was immaculately ordered. Every piece of furniture and every painting were exactly placed. I could swear that a child had never set foot there. Realizing that Mr. Kaufmann was gay and assuming that the “Rothschild” part of the bronze plate’s equation was that of his partner, I was itching to ask him which Rothschild this one was, but I didn’t. After a short exchange of pleasantries, Ruth handed him the folder containing our itinerary and also pointed at the markings that we had made on his book’s list of addresses.
“This is a very ambitious trip. It is spread all over the country. How long are you planning to travel?” Mr. Kaufmann asked.
“Three or four months,” Ruth responded.
“Before leaving New York we’ll buy a car,” I interrupted. Ruth gave me her typical look of getting upset when I interrupt, and continued.
“We’ll drive towards Montreal first, then we’ll cover the Midwest all the way to Wisconsin, and from there we’ll head south before the winter catches us up. We’ll spend a week in St. Louis, where Rick’s cousins live, and from there we’ll fly to Florida, continuing to move along the south, mixing flights with car rentals, all the way to California.”
“By when are you planning to reach Fallingwater?”
“In approximately one month from now,” I interjected.
“Mid-October. It starts getting cold. Be prepared for rain,” said Mr. Kaufmann.
While he carefully analyzed the material, making comments and adding notes by the margins with a pencil, my eyes whirled around. The apartment must have been a basement at one time, probably less than 2,000 square feet, but the garden seemed to be twice its size. It was hard to believe that a place like that could exist in New York. From where I was sitting, one could not see FDR Drive, and the river seemed to be touching the garden’s edge, similarly to the villas that we have seen facing the Bosporus’ European shore, when we visited Istanbul four years earlier. After a while, I asked for the restroom. He showed me the way through his bedroom, a minimalist cube framed by one painting on each wall and a king-size mattress lying directly on the floor. The art display extended further into the bathroom, where a delicate Ben Shahn drawing provided spiritual company to my peeing.

Our conversation remained centered on our trip’s goals. When it was time for lunch, Kaufmann lead us along 53rd Street for a couple of blocks, then we turned left on Second Avenue and right on 52nd Street, towards Fifth Avenue.
“I want to show you something before we reach the restaurant,” he said.
We continue to walk for another half block when suddenly, in-between traditional apartment buildings, stood a two-story steel and glass building.
“This is a guest house designed by Philip Johnson for Mrs. John Rockefeller,” said Mr. Kaufmann, “It used to be a carriage house. Inside, Philip created a continuous loft-like interior, with a combined living and dining room in the front and a bedroom in the back, each looking through fully glazed walls to a water-filled, landscaped garden that lay between. To go from the living to the bedroom, the guests have to cross the pool stepping on travertine pads. He considerably sacrificed interior space in favor of the court, but in doing so, he has created expansiveness, despite the severe limitations of the site.”
“I know the project,” I exclaimed, “but I didn’t know it was here!”
“How do you know about it?”
“When we were second-year students at the Technion, we were given as an assignment to design four single-family houses on a terraced area of Haifa. Ruth’s design was joyful, in the spirit of Hans Sharoun, with articulated walls and pitched roofs. I was then trying to explore something different than Le Corbusier’s language, which first influenced my design, so I went to the library and there I discovered a book on Philip Johnson. In it was the plan of this guest house! It inspired me to design a
T-shaped glass house, with a front pool reaching its exterior walls. That feature demanded to walk through pads in order to get to the main entrance, similarly to what Philip Johnson did here. But this happened during the early 1960’s, and Israel’s spirit was still very Spartan. My project was considered too minimalist, not functional enough; I was very criticized by both my teacher and my peers. I got a B-minus,” I laughed.
We continued to walk along 52nd Street until we reached Park Avenue.
“Look at the contrasts between corporate buildings. To the right you can see an International Style classic, the purist Seagram Building, designed by Mies van der Rohe and Philip Johnson in the spirit of “God-is-in-the-detail.” To the left, the Pan Am Building, arrogantly stacked in the middle of this colorful and sleek glass canyon, out of scale with Grand Central Station. How could Walter Gropius do that?”
“Did you know that Zevi and Philip Johnson studied together at Harvard under Gropius?” I asked, using the association with something more anecdotal.
“I know,” he said, isn’t that an amazing paradox? The founder of the Bauhaus, who influenced the passage from the Arts & Crafts Movement to industrial design, being the teacher of two influential future leaders of architecture’s Modernism becomes, late in his life, a servant to speculative real estate developers. His excuse was that of creating ‘a quiet, imposing building mass of a strong prismatic form.’ I don’t buy it! Anyhow, it’s time to eat. Let’s go.” He closed the argument and started to walk.

We continued to walk along Park Avenue, until we stopped again by an unmarked gate. Mr. Kaufmann knocked at a brass door knocker. A peephole opened showing someone’s eye peeping at us. After some perfunctory questions, the door opened and a man dressed in a black tailcoat, wearing white gloves and a white tie, showed us the way to a table in the middle of a sumptuous dining room filled with people. I realized that we had crossed the threshold of another world, all hidden from the public, a sophisticated place for the elite at the very heart of a city which is all about intensity of purpose and connections. I asked Mr. Kaufmann to lead us on the menu.
“Do you like soft-shell crab?” he asked.
“I never tried it, but I’m willing to learn something new,” said Ruth, hoping that dealing with the crab won’t turn into a messy affair.
“What about you, Viviana?”
“I think that I am going to have Lettuce-Wrapped Rock Cod with Carrot Sauce.”
“It has a delicate taste of tarragon, and the carrots give it a slightly sweet twist,” said the waiter.
What about you, Rick?” asked Mr. Kaufmann.
I looked at the prices of the main courses, some of which were three times what we paid for our hotel’s room. I thought of keeping it low keyed.
“I am undecided between Gingered Garden Salad with Chicken, or Golden Chicken in Port Sauce with Prunes & Garlic.” Ruth made me a frowning sign at the garlic’s component.
“Do you like spicy food?” asked the waiter, and continued. “The Spicy Chicken with Cumin and Lime is very good.”
“That sounds excellent. I’ll go for it,” I said.

We switched our conversation to some of his personal experiences with Wright. We asked about the feeling of living in a place like Fallingwater.
“Although Wright designed for me a bedroom with a wall-to-wall window, I wanted to feel surrounded by the forest, so I put a bed on the highest landing of the stairway, where its all-glass walls allowed me to see the trees in their entirety, and that became my real bedroom, ” said Kaufmann.
“A Room with a View,” I thought, having in mind E. M. Foster’s one in Florence.
We also talked about Zevi, with whom he had co-authored the Italian book “La Casa sulla Cascata.” He considered him one of the great critics of our time, one of the very few that Wright had respect for.
“What is your connection to Zevi, Viviana?” asked Mr. Kaufmann.
“Besides being his student, I worked for him several years, mainly on research related to his rewriting of ‘History and Spaces of Modern Architecture,’ first written in 1950. The new edition will come in two volumes,” said Viviana.
“That sounds like a gigantic task,” said Mr. Kaufmann. Viviana smiled. “Well, as Zevi’s disciples, you have my full endorsement of trust. I’ll call the people at the Foundation to let them know that you are coming. You may spend as much time in and around the house as you may need.”

When we exited the restaurant, we walked together to the corner of Park Avenue and 53rd Street. Mr. Kaufmann kissed Ruth and Viviana on both cheeks, shook hands with me, wished us good luck, and turned right, back home.
Mr. Kaufmann’s trust left us with more than just his trust; it was a full load of responsibility to young architects on their way to becoming professionals.



 

 
 (1) Edgar Kaufmann, Jr. (1910–1989) was an American architect, lecturer, and author. He was Director of the Industrial Design Department at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York City. From 1963 to 1986, Edgar Jr. was an Adjunct Professor of Architecture and Art History at Columbia University. Edgar Jr. strongly supported his father's decision to commission Frank Lloyd Wright for the famous 1936 'Fallingwater' house. After his father’s death in 1955, Edgar Jr. inherited the 'Fallingwater' house, continuing to use and share it as a mountain retreat until 1963. Then he entrusted the Wright structures and several hundred acres of the surrounding pristine Laurel Highlands to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy as an architectural house museum and conservation open space preserve, in memory of his parents.
The meeting referred to in this story was conducted in 1971.

 


 



 
INCONTRO CON MR. KAUFMANN

di Rick Meghiddo

 

Avevamo programmato un itinerario che non aveva niente da fare con una cronologia storica né secondo la maggiore o minore importanza degli edifici da visitare. Wright, come Picasso, ebbe periodi di creatività molto diversi tra di loro: oltre cinquecento opere, costruite lungo settanta anni. Tra queste le Prairie Houses del Midwest, costruite tra la fine del 19° secolo e l'inizio del 20° secolo; le case a blocchi di cemento di Los Angeles degli anni venti; i capolavori delle case Johnson e Kaufmann degli anni trenta nel Wisconsin e nella Western Pennsylvania; le case Usonian degli anni cinquanta, concepite per le esigenze della classe media americana in tutto il paese; e gli edifici pubblici, quali la Price Tower a Bartlesville, Oklahoma, il Florida Southern College di Lakeland, la sinagoga Beth Sholom a Philadelphia ed il Museo Guggenheim a New York. Avevamo bisogno di consiglio per distinguere tra quelle opere che erano essenziali per capire ogni periodo, e quelle che erano meno rilevanti. Nonostante la prestigiosa formazione di Mr. Kaufmann (1), il motivo principale per cui abbiamo voluto incontrarci con lui era perché, essendo l'autore di un libro intitolato "Frank Lloyd Wright: Scritti ed Edifici", che comprendeva un indice dettagliato con gli indirizzi dei lavori di Wright, lui ne conosceva meglio di chiunque altro la realtà sul terreno.

Mentre camminavamo verso la Fondazione Ford, ci fermammo ad un telefono pubblico sulla 42esima strada per chiamare al signor Kaufmann. Usando il numero che Zevi ci aveva dato, ho composto. C’era molto rumore per la strada e avevo paura che non fossi in grado di sentire la persona all'altro capo del filo. L’auricolare squillò.
"Edward Kaufmann, pronto?" Sentire la leggera voce di un uomo mi colse di sorpresa. Ero già pronto a convincere qualche redattore per farmi parlare con lui, ma ecco che il signor Kaufmann sollevò il telefono.
"Signor Kauffman”? chiesi retoricamente.
"Sì, chi parla"? rispose.
"Aehh ... buon giorno signor Kaufmann. Sono stato indirizzato da lei dal professore Zevi. Il mio nome è Rick Meghiddo. Mi trovo a New York per pochi giorni insieme a mia moglie. Siamo entrambi architetti laureati a Roma. Il Professore Zevi e stato il mio mentore. Abbiamo programmato un viaggio lungo gli Stati Uniti per vedere e fotografare molti degli edifici di Frank Lloyd Wright. Il professore Zevi ci diede il suo numero di telefono e ci esortò di contattarla una volta arrivati a New York, per averne qualche consiglio da lei".
"Molto interessante", disse Kaufmann. A malapena riuscivo a sentire quello che diceva.
"Cosa fa il professore Zevi in questi giorni?" Mr. Kaufmann continuò, "non sono stato in contatto con lui per un bel po' di tempo. E' un grande storico, un appassionato sostenitore di Wright e della filosofia dell’Architettura Organica. E anche uno dei migliori critici di architettura che ne conosco, probabilmente il migliore. L'ha visto di recente"?
"No", risposi, "adesso vengo da Israele. Ho parlato con il professore Zevi per telefono due settimane fa, prima di lasciare Tel Aviv. Mi diede il suo numero. Non sapevo che stavo chiamando a casa sua. Chiedo scusa. Preferisce che la richiamo in un momento più opportuno”?
"No, no, va bene. Comunque ne avevo bisogno di una sosta. Ora, lasciami capire meglio. Tu hai detto che vieni da Israele, ma il tuo accento è latino, sei italiano"?
"No, sono nato e cresciuto in Argentina. Emigrai in Israele quando avevo diciassette anni, sono entrato nel Technion per studiare architettura e lì, in classe, ho conosciuto mia moglie. Lei era venuta in Israele dalla Romania. Dopo sposati ci siamo trasferiti a Roma per continuare i nostri studi lì. Poco tempo dopo essere arrivati abbiamo cominciato a studiare storia dell'architettura con il professore Zevi. Ci ha adottato, per così dire, come discepoli suoi. Più tardi è stato pure il nostro relatore di laurea", dissi.
Ruth mi fece un segno di fargli capire che siamo in tre, non due. Viviana sorrise in silenzio. Ero così concentrato nella mia conversazione con il signor Kaufmann che non sono riuscito a capire quello che Ruth stava cercando di dirmi.
"Per rispondere alla sua domanda," continuai, "quando parlai con il professore Zevi, lui era molto occupato perché stava scrivendo un nuovo libro".
"Sapete di che libro si tratta"? chiese, curioso.
"Non sono sicuro al cento per cento. Se ho capito bene, si tratta del codice del linguaggio dell'architettura moderna", dissi, premendo il canale del mio orecchio sinistro con lo snodo del mio indice, per attenuare il rumore della strada di camion, sirene, corni ed un tassista gridando "figlio di puttana" ad un uomo incrociato in mezzo alla strada. Sperai che non l'avesse sentito.
"Ha una mente complessa", commentò il signor Kaufmann, "ora, dimmi Ricardo, come posso aiutarti"?
"Il fatto è che, per quanto riguarda il nostro viaggio, abbiamo usato il suo libro come fonte principale di riferimento. E' stupendo, e l'elenco degli indirizzi lo rende unico. Vorremmo ottenere da lei una reazione, se possibile, per fare in modo di essere sicuri che siamo sulla strada giusta ".
"In che senso"? Mr. Kauffmann chiese.
"Il nostro itinerario di viaggio attraversa almeno venticinque stati nel nord-est, il Midwest, il sud-est ed il sud-ovest. Siccome abbiamo intenzione di percorrere una sequenza di edifici non in ordine cronologico né in ordine di importanza, ci piacerebbe avere da lei il suo consiglio per stabilire una certa gerarchia nel nostro itinerario", dissi.
"Ho capito. Beh, mi sembra un’impresa abbastanza impegnata. Mi farà piacere aiutarvi in quello che posso. A proposito, pure Fallingwater figura sulla vostra strada"?
"Certo, è uno dei punti più importanti del nostro viaggio".
"Bene. Posso facilitarvi la vostra visita lì”, disse.
Scimmiottai il mio entusiasmo a Ruth e Viviana, ma loro non riuscivano a capire perché. "Dio mio, un tappeto rosso per Fallingwater", pensai, "che privilegio"!
"Fammi guardare il mio calendario. Questo fine settimana sono fuori città, e tu hai detto che siete venuti per pochi giorni ... come vi andrebbe di venire a casa mia domani, con la tua moglie, come si chiama"? chiese.
"Ruth", dissi".
“Con Ruth, diciamo, alle undici? Prima possiamo discutere il viaggio, e poi vi porto fuori a pranzo e tu mi racconterai di più su Zevi, e forse anche su Israele. Avremo un paio d'ore per parlare. Domani va bene per voi”?
"E molto gentile da parte sua", risposi, "ma in questo momento siamo tre persone. Una nostra amica italiana, l'architetto Viviana Campajola, che ha lavorato per anni da Zevi, ci ha raggiunto per alcuni giorni. Non vogliamo imporre oneri su di lei, per cui saremo lieti di venire, ma non necessariamente per il pranzo”, dissi, mentre Ruth fece un gesto di approvazione.
"Non è un problema. Sarò felice di prendervi tutti e tre a pranzo", disse.
Alzai alte le mie sopracciglia verso Ruth e Viviana.
"Grazie. Certo, domani va bene. Saremo alla vostra residenza alle undici". Mi diede il suo indirizzo, sulla East 53rd Street, che scrissi su una borsa dal negozio di souvenirs delle Nazioni Unite, utilizzando uno dei lati della cabina come supporto.
"La prego di inviare i miei migliori auguri a Zevi, se parla con lui", aggiunse.
"In effetti la nostra amica Viviana lo vedrà quando tornerà a Roma, tra circa dieci giorni".
"Benissimo. Nel frattempo, ci vediamo domani. Avete un numero di telefono dove posso raggiungervi, se fosse necessario"? Glielo detti, sperando che non si rendesse conto del tipo di albergo nel quale ci ospitavano. Lui non lo chiese, ed io non lo offrii. Poi mi chiede di trasmettere i suoi saluti a Ruth e Viviana, e chiuse il telefono.
"Raccontaci tutto quello che ha detto, parola per parola", chiese Ruth con impazienza. Ero sfinito dalla tensione. Era stato come sollevare pesi oltre il limite di quello che ero abituato.
"Ho bisogno di un caffè," dissi, e raccontai la mia conversazione.
  
Il mattino dopo Ruth e Viviana volevano andare a comprare una lozione idratante Clinique prima del nostro incontro con il signor Kaufmann, dunque prendemmo un tassi dal nostro albergo direttamente al magazzino Saks Fifth Avenue, sull'angolo della 49th Street. Il traffico non era troppo male, e siamo arrivati in dieci minuti. Siccome non avevo pazienza per stare intorno a Ruth mentre lei cercava eyeliners, rossetti e profumi, ci siamo messi d’accordo di incontrarci in mezz'ora ad un punto vicino a una scala mobile del pianoterra. Lasciai il negozio e me ne andai a fare una passeggiata intorno a la Rockefeller Plaza. Lì trovai una cartolina con un design moderno ed elegante e la comperai, per inviare una nota di ringraziamento al Sig. Kaufmann dopo il nostro incontro. Tornai alle 10:30 AM precise. Le ragazze non c'erano. Dopo cinque minuti, sono cominciato ad essere teso. Alle 10:40 AM sono comparse.
"Lo so, lo so, andiamo", disse Ruth, prevedendo la mia reazione.

Raggiungemmo la 53rd Street, e da lì ci siamo diretti verso est. La residenza del signor Kaufmann si trovava alla fine della strada, così che abbiamo dovuto camminare svelti per arrivare in tempo. La zona era nuova per me. Ero sorpreso di scoprire un tranquillo viale alberato con edifici bassi da piccola città nel centro di Manhattan. Quando ne abbiamo attraversato la Lexington Avenue, ho notato un negozio Flax di forniture d’arte e pensai che sarebbe stato bello andarci a fare un giro li, ma quello non era il momento giusto.
Siamo giunti alla residenza del signor Kaufmann alle undici precise. Non trovavo il campanello, dunque spinsi il cancello. Per mia sorpresa, era aperto. Siamo entrati direttamente in una hall d'ingresso. Accanto ad un vecchio ascensore c’era una placca di bronzo sulla quale era inciso "KAUFMANN-ROTHCHILD, Secondo Piano, Giù”. Giù? Eravamo perplessi.
"Strano", disse Ruth, mentre Viviana fece un gesto tipicamente italiano di "chi lo sa"?
Abbiamo seguito le direzioni. L'ascensore aveva una porta di legno che oscillava verso il fuori, e due porte che oscillavano verso l’interno. Le pareti dell'ascensore erano di legno con modanature. Un piccolo specchio con bordi lucidati era attaccato ad una parete laterale. Mi ricordo gli ascensori degli appartamenti a Parigi, ma questo era più grande. Mentre Ruth e Viviana controllavano i loro trucchi nello specchio, spinsi il bottone più basso sporgente da una placca di bronzo. L'ascensore si mosse lentamente. Quando si fermò, mi sono tirato indietro per poter aprire le porte interne. Poi siamo usciti su un piccolo pianerottolo e ho dovuto spostarmi ad un lato per poter chiudere la porta esterna dell’'ascensore. C'era un'unica vecchia porta di legno ed una finestra che si affacciava su un giardino nel quale c’era una scultura di Henry Moore. Sullo sfondo vidi l'East River, con una nave passante ed il contorno di Long Island al di là della Roosevelt Island. Ruth pettinò i miei capelli con le sue dita e mi raddrizzò la cravatta. Ero preoccupato che non andava bene con la mia camicia, ma avevo preso una sola cravatta per il viaggio, dunque, non c’era niente da rimediare. Viviana sollevò le sue sopracciglia e fece un profondo sospiro. Io suonai il campanello.
 
Un uomo magro con un pizzetto ci accolsi con un sorriso. Parlava piano e le sue maniere sembravano quelle di un aristocratico del 17 ° secolo. L'appartamento era un museo privato di arte moderna, con quadri e sculture di alta qualità. Mentre presentavo a Ruth e Viviana, i miei occhi fuggirono verso un grande quadro “gocciolato” di Jackson Pollock, alla sua sinistra un ritratto di Picasso di una donna, e sulla destra un quadro surrealista di Mirò pieno di simboli sessuali. Nel soggiorno notai una lucente scultura di bronzo di Duchamp-Villon accanto ad un grande divano e, al di là di porte in vetro, la scultura di Henry Moore, riposando su un tappeto d'erba.
Il signor Kaufmann ci guidò verso il soggiorno dove ci siamo seduti su sedie tradizionali intorno ad un tavolino, in chiari contrasto con la modernità delle opere sulle pareti. L'effetto era quello di una apertura casuale, ma il posto era perfettamente ordinato. Ogni mobile ed ogni dipinto erano piazzati con esattezza. Avrei potuto giurare che un bambino non aveva mai messo piede lì. Rendendomi conto che il signor Kaufmann era gay ed ipotizzando che la parte "Rothschild" dell'equazione inscritta sulla placca di bronzo era quella del suo compagno, ne avevo la tentazione di chiederli di quale dei Rothschild si trattava, ma mi trattenei. Dopo un breve scambio di mutui complimenti, Ruth gli allungò la cartella contenente il nostro itinerario pure indicandogli i segni fatti sul suo libro con la lista con indirizzi.
"Questo è un viaggio molto ambizioso. E' sparpagliato per tutto il paese. Per quanto tempo avete intenzioni di viaggiare"? chiese Mr. Kaufmann.
"Tre o quattro mesi", Ruth rispose.
"Acquisteremo una macchina prima di lasciare New York", interruppi. Ruth mi diede il suo tipico sguardo di arrabbiata quando l’interrompevo, e continuò.
"Andremo verso Montreal, poi vedremo il Midwest fino al Wisconsin, e da lì ci dirigeremmo a sud prima che l’inverno ci acchiappi. Saremo una settimana a St. Louis, dove abitano cugini di Rick, e da lì voleremo verso la Florida, continuando poi a muoverci lungo la costa sud, combinando voli con noleggi d’auto, fino alla California ".
"Fra quanto tempo avete intenzioni di raggiungere Fallingwater"?
"In circa un mese da oggi," interruppi.
"Metà ottobre. Comincia a fare freddo. Siete preparati per la pioggia ", disse Kaufmann.
Mentre analizzava attentamente il materiale, facendo commenti ed aggiungendo note ai margini con una matita, i miei occhi giravano intorno. L'appartamento doveva essere stato in un seminterrato, probabilmente di meno di 200 metri quadri, ma il giardino sembrava di essere due volte la sua dimensione. Era difficile da credere che un posto come quello potesse esistere a New York. Da dove ero seduto, non si poteva vedere il FDR Drive, ed il fiume sembrava di toccare il bordo del giardino, in modo simile alle ville che avevamo visto sulla riva europea del Bosforo, quando abbiamo visitato Istanbul quattro anni prima. Dopo un po', domandai dov’era il bagno. Lui mi mostrò la strada attraverso la sua camera da letto, un cubo minimalista con un dipinto su ogni parete e di un materasso king-size disteso sul pavimento. La sistemazione d’arte si estendeva ulteriormente dentro il bagno, dove un delicato disegno di Ben Shahn provvide compagnia spirituale alla mia pipì.

La nostra conversazione rimase centrata sugli obiettivi del nostro viaggio. Quando arrivò l'ora di pranzo, Kaufmann ci condusse lungo la 53rd Street per un paio di isolati, poi girammo a sinistra per la Second Avenue e 52nd Street sulla destra, verso la Fifth Avenue.
"Voglio farvi vedere una cosa prima di raggiungere il ristorante", disse.
Continuammo a camminare per un altro blocco e mezzo quando improvvisamente, fra appartamenti tradizionali, c'era un edificio a due piani in acciaio e vetro.
"Questa è una guest house progettata da Philip Johnson per la moglie di John Rockefeller", disse Mr. Kaufmann, "Una volta e stata usata come stalla per carrozze. All'interno, Philip creo un continua soffitta interna, con un ambiente combinante soggiorno e sala da pranzo sul fronte ed una camera da letto nella parte posteriore, ciascuno dei quali guardano ,attraverso pareti vetrate, un giardino con una piscina decorativa in mezzo. Per andare dal soggiorno alla camera da letto, gli ospiti devono attraversare la piscina camminando su piastre di travertino. Lui sacrificò molto spazio interno a favore di questo cortile, ma così facendo, nonostante le grandi limitazioni del sito, gli diede un senso di ampiezza ".
"Conosco il progetto", esclamai, "ma non sapevo che fosse qui"!
"Come mai lo conosci"?
"Quando eravamo studenti del secondo anno al Technion, ci diedero come incarico di progettare quattro case unifamiliari su un terreno terrazzato di Haifa. Il progetto di Ruth era gioioso, nello spirito di Hans Sharoun, con pareti articolate e tetti a falda. Io invece cercavo di esplorare qualcosa di diverso dal linguaggio di Le Corbusier, che per primo aveva influenzato il mio disegno, così che andai in biblioteca e lì scoprii un libro su Philip Johnson. In esso c’era la pianta di questa struttura! Il mio progetto di case ne aveva una forma a T ispirata da questo progetto di Johnson, ed includeva una piscina sul fronte. Tale allestimento richiedeva di dover camminare attraverso piastre di cemento per raggiungere l'ingresso principale, analogamente a quanto fatto qui da Philip Johnson. Ma questo accadeva durante i primi anni sessanta, e lo spirito di Israele era ancora molto spartano. Il mio progetto è stato considerato troppo minimalista, non sufficientemente funzionale, dunque, sono stato molto criticato sia dal mio maestro che dai miei compagni. Ne ricevei un B-minus ", dissi ridendo.

Abbiamo continuato a camminare lungo la 52nd Street fino a raggiungere Park Avenue.
"Guardate i contrasti tra gli edifici aziendali. A destra potete vedere un classico Stile Internazionale, il purista Seagram Building, progettato da Mies van der Rohe e Philip Johnson, nello spirito del "Dio-è-nel-dettaglio." A sinistra, il Pan Am Building, arrogantemente piantato in mezzo a questa colorata ed elegante gola di vetro, fuori scala accanto alla Grand Central Station. Come ha potuto Walter Gropius fare questo? "
"Sapeva che Zevi e Philip Johnson studiarono insieme ad Harvard sotto Gropius"? chiesi, usando l'associazione per qualcosa di più aneddotico.
"Lo so", disse, “non è un paradosso incredibile? Il fondatore del Bauhaus, che influenzò il passaggio dal movimento Arts & Crafts al disegno industriale, essendo il maestro di due influenti leaders dell Modernismo, alla fine della sua vita, diventa un servo dei costruttori di edilizia speculativa. La sua scusa è stata quella di creare 'una tranquilla massa imponente di una forte forma prismatica’. A me non mi convince. Ad ogni modo, è ora di mangiare. Andiamo.” Chiuse l'argomento e ricominciamo a camminare
Continuammo a camminare lungo Park Avenue, fino che ci siamo fermati di fronte ad un cancello non segnato. Il signor Kaufmann bussò la porta colpendo un battente in ottone attaccato ad essa. Uno spioncino si aprì attraverso il quale si vedeva l'occhio di qualcuno che ci spiava. Dopo alcune domande superficiali, la porta si aprì e un uomo vestito con un frac nero, guanti bianchi e una cravatta bianca ci fece strada verso un tavolo al centro di una suntuosa sala da pranzo piena di gente. Mi resi conto che avevamo varcato la soglia di un altro mondo, totalmente nascosto dal pubblico, un luogo sofisticato per l'elite nel proprio centro di una città che è tutta intensità di intenti e di connessioni. Chiesi al signor Kaufmann di farci da guida sul menu.
“Vi piacciono granchi soffici"? chiesi.
"Non li ho mai provati, ma sono disposta ad imparare qualcosa di nuovo", disse Ruth, sperando che il dover lottare con i granchi non diventasse un affare sporco.
"E tu, Viviana"?
"Penso di avere il Merluzzo avvolto in Lattuga con Salsa di Carote”.
"Ha un sapore delicato di dragoncello, le carote le conferiscono un tocco leggermente dolce," disse il cameriere.
"E te, Rick”?
Io guardai i prezzi dei piatti principali, alcune dei quali costavano tre volte quello che noi pagavamo per la camera del nostro albergo. Pensai di essere moderato. "Sono indeciso tra l’Insalata Giardiniere allo Zenzero col Pollo o Pollo Dorato in Salsa di Oporto con Prugne ed Aglio." Ruth mi fece un segno sulla componente aglio.
"Le piace il cibo piccante?" chiese il cameriere, e continuò: "il Pollo Piccante con Cumino e Limoni Verdi è molto buono."
"Mi sembra ottimo. Prenderò quello" dissi.
 
Girammo la nostra conversazione su alcune delle sue esperienze personali con Wright. Chiedemmo di raccontarci la sensazione di vivere in un posto come Fallingwater.
"Anche se Wright disegnò per me una camera da letto con una finestra da parete a parete, io volevo sentirmi circondato dalla foresta, dunque misi un letto sul pianerottolo più alto della scala, lì dove tutte le pareti intorno erano di vetro, il che mi permise di vedere gli alberi nella loro interezza, e quella è diventata la mia camera da letto vera e propria", disse Kaufmann.
“’Camera con Vista’”, pensai, avendo in mente il libro di E.M. Foster su Firenze.
Abbiamo anche parlato di Zevi, con il quale era stato co-autore del libro italiano "La Casa Sulla Cascata." Lui lo considerava uno dei grandi critici del nostro tempo, uno dei pochissimi per il quale Wright aveva rispetto.
"Qual è la sua connessione con Zevi, Viviana?" Chiese il signor Kaufmann.
"Oltre ad essere stata una sua allieva, ho lavorato per lui parecchi anni, principalmente sulla ricerca relativa alla sua riscrittura di 'Storia e Spazi dell’Architettura Moderna,' inizialmente scritta nel 1950. La nuova edizione sarà in due volumi ", disse Viviana.
"Sembra un compito gigantesco", disse Mr. Kaufmann. Viviana sorrise.
"Beh, come discepoli di Zevi, avete la mia piena fiducia. Chiamerò le persone presso la Fondazione per far sapere loro che state arrivando. Potrete girare dentro e fuori la casa quanto tempo ne fosse necessario".
 
Quando siamo usciti dal ristorante, abbiamo camminato insieme fino all'angolo di Park Avenue e la 53rd Street. Il signor Kaufmann baciò Ruth e Viviana su entrambe le guance, mi strinse la mano, ci augurò buona fortuna, e girò a destra, tornando verso casa sua.
La fiducia di Mr. Kaufmann ci lasciò di più che solo fiducia; era una carica piena di responsabilità verso giovani architetti nella loro strada per diventare professionisti.

 

 

(1) Edgar Kaufmann, Jr. (1910–1989) è stato un architetto, oratore ed autore americano. Fu Direttore del Dipartimento di Disegno Industriale del Museo di Arte Moderna di New York (MOMA). Dal 1963 al 1986, Edgar jr. E stato Professore Aggiunto di Storia dell’Arte e dell’Architettura alla Columbia University. Edgar Jr. ha fortemente appoggiato a suo padre nella decisione di incaricare a Frank Lloyd Wright la famosa casa ‘Fallingwater”. Dopo la morte di suo padre nel 1955, Edgar Jr. ereditò ‘Fallingwater’e continuò a farne uso ed a compartire questo rifugio di montagna fino il 1963. Dopo affidò le strutture di Wright ed alcuni dei circostanti centinai d’ettari dalle Laurel Highlands alla Western Pennsylvana Conservancy come casa-museo e riserva di spazio naturale in memoria ai suoi genitori.



        



















Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Post più popolari